"Recipes are meant to be shared"

It is my intention to add a couple of recipes here every week. Although between working and playing with my daily blog 'Thibeault's Table', I'm not always successful.

Pork Carnitas


Pork - Carnitas
===============
Two methods

This first one is my version - recreation of the first time I had this dish. We were on vacation in Puerto Rico and looking for something different for dinner. A local suggested we try a little Mexican restaurant that was apparently a well kept secret from the tourists. I think this was when I fell in love with Mexican food. I'd always liked it but Mexican in Toronto at that time wasn't exactly authentic.

My Mexican repertoire has grown over the last 30 years. I now make a slow roasted version of this dish and I even make my own corn tortillas. But every so often I still make this version.


Pork cut into large cubes
Chicken broth
Onion cut into quarters
2 garlic cloves
cumin
salt and pepper
Corn Tortillas
Oil
refried beans
guacamole
salsa
cheese
lettuce and chopped tomatoes

Simmer pork in chicken broth with onions, garlic and seasonings until tender. Remove meat from liquid and shred with fork. Heat oil and soften corn tortillas. Takes just a few seconds and drain on paper towels.

Let each person make up their own taco.

Spread a little of the refried beans on the tortilla, top with shredded pork, cheese, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.. and enjoy.


Second Method

Rub a pork roast (Shoulder or Butt) with lots of powdered chipotle pepper, salt, pepper and fresh minced garlic. Place in a heavy cast iron dutch oven, cover and cook in a low oven (275°F - 325°F) until meat is fall apart tender. Time will depend on the size of the roast.

Serve with homemade corn tortillas, fresh salsa, slice of lime and a few sprigs of cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment